Granite vs Quartz
Quartz is a manmade stone that contains ground quartz mixed with resin in a ratio of 93% quartz to 7% resin. The mixed composition is sintered to form a solid structure – a plate of quartz agglomerate.
Pros and cons of quartz
- Quartz countertops are as durable as granite, plus – they are more flexible. Which makes the processing and installation process.
- Quartz has a non-porous structure and does not require compaction and additional processing. This stone is very practical and great for countertops.
- Both of these materials are very durable, they can be considered the strongest ones.
- Another advantage of quartz against granite is that, over time, it does not fade under the influence of direct sunlight.
- Quartz is slightly heavier than granite.
- It is expected that there will be seams at the joining places of the quartz countertop; it should not be any issue with that. In addition, choosing a material with a more uniform structure – the seams will be less visible. In granite,\ goes the same the seams will not be an issue.
Advantages and disadvantages of granite
Here are some of the most important disadvantages and advantages of granite that you need to know:
- The color and structure of granite are heterogeneous; it has streaks, large grain. This fact for some may be a disadvantage, for others an advantage.
- Granite countertops should be treated with a special sealant, since they have a porous surface where spots can remain. Reprocessing can be carried out after 1 years.
- Granite countertops are very durable, but they should not be considered indestructible, this is a rock, and even the rocks break if you apply extremely high force to them. But in everyday use, granite can last forever.
- The stone is heavy and requires that professionals install it. Do not hire handyman to install granite countertops.
- It is possible to hide the seams on the granite countertop, expect that the seams at the joints of the countertop will be a little visible.
- The samples of stone that you see when you select a countertop may slightly differ from the stone that you get in the end. Since each centimeter of natural stone has its own uniqueness. The color and structure of the picture will also be slightly different.
Let’s compare the cost
This is the issue that should be given the most attention when it comes to choosing between quartz and granite. After all, most people try to stick to the budget, and the purchase of countertops made of quartz or granite, no doubt costs significant funds. Estimated cost of granite is $ 70, quartz about $ 100. But with the development of technology, the price trend for quartz countertops is decreasing.
Prices may vary depending on the manufacturer, model and color of the granite slab. In general, the difference in cost should not be so significant as to affect your choice.
So which one to choose?
The one that you find the most aesthetic, the one that fits into your interior, emphasizes the mood and atmosphere that you are trying to create in your kitchen. Just when it comes to choice, it cannot be wrong. Only personal preferences take place.